Monday, January 18, 2010

New Beginnings




As this is the premiere posting to this blog, I will disclose a little about my plan. I intend to do a critique on every restaurant I visit, each time, and post my findings in this venue. As a well travelled, well fed person who cooks, I believe my opinions are informed and unbiased. Much like the Phantom Gourmet, I will visit a restaurant and order my food. Rating cleanliness, service, menu, and food will determine a return visit and positive feedback. And so, to my readers, here is my first review.





The aroma of your food should inspire your taste buds. The blend of herbs and spice should bring delicious thoughts to your mind, as your plate is placed before you. That said, even simple fare should give you pause and reflection.

As you enter Me and Ollie's, in Hampton, NH a cloud of yumminess envelopes you. My mouth was literally watering as I walked to the counter to collect my order. One doesn't go there for baked Brie or foie gras. The basic, simple delights that can be had, however, can and are an anticipated repast. The "Margherita" sandwich at Me and Ollie's in Hampton, NH is just such simple fare. The blend of smoked mozzarella, their special pesto and balsamic mixes, and sliced tomato is perfection on their San Francisco Sourdough bread. Every taste bud is engaged in this celebration that is an Italian styled grilled cheese sandwich. Knowing that the bread is made with whole wheat flour gives this savory sandwich a guilt-free warmth and places it high on my list of comfort foods.


Given that I did not eat in, but instead opted to call my order for pick up, I will refrain from rating the service, save for one thing: The woman who took my order really didn't want to, neither did she want to fill it, as was evidenced by her using the wrong type of bread for my sandwich. It is understandable to an extent. Yes, the weather today is foul, and they are closing early at 2 pm. But still, they only get paid for items sold, and had she not made my order, I would have gone elsewhere. This visit was a disappointment. I am even considering getting all future Me and Ollie's foods from the locations in Stratham or Exeter.



Total Rating:


Food: B-, The sandwich was on the wrong bread


Service: C-, A customer shouldn't have to be pushy to get their order, nor should the server ever be surly.


Cleanliness: A, This is always a clean location


Menu: B, Soups and Sandwiches are good lunch fare

1 comment:

  1. Glad to have another opinion expressed. Working with the public, especially in these times can be tricky, but the customer should always be right and cared for reflecting that concept. Looking forward to other posts.

    ReplyDelete